Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Orange County, California, U.S.A

     Well I am finally on my way...all my things are in order and my journey has begun.  November 30th I caught a quick flight from Salt Lake City International Airport to Santa Ana, California.  I have been staying with my sister Jessica and her wonderful family which consists of her husband Phillip and their four little boys, Logan (7), Luke (5), Oliver (2) and Charlie (6m).  It has been good to stay with family for a few days while I put the stress and chaos of normal life behind me and prepare to take that big step into the unknown.  Little did I know I would be trading one type of chaos for a another.  As you can imagine with four happy, curious, energetic little boys there is rarely a dull moment around here.  We have spent time building wooden toy planes, playing soccer, practicing spelling, playing wii, reading and just generally having a great time...they completely wear me out.  I have so much respect for parents who do this day in and day out, I guess it's something to look I forward to in my future.

     Although, surrounded by constant little boy crazy I have still had time to reflect on what lay ahead of me and also come to terms with what I am leaving behind.  As with preparing for any long amount of time spent away from home there comes a certain sense of sadness in leaving loved ones behind knowing it will be quite sometime before you will see each other again.  For me this was especially hard since I have the greatest friends and family a guy could hope for.  In the weeks prior to me leaving I took the opportunity to spend time with the people who matter most to me, people I most certainly take for granted due to their relative closeness and ease of communication.  I am very glad I took the time because I know I will miss them all greatly...

     As the time drifts by and my 32 hour series of flights to Bangalore looms just over the horizon I would be dishonest if I said I wasn't scared about what lay store for me.  Even though I know I have done my research, my packing list has been checked twice, all my shots and medication acquired and my visa/passport documentation in order, I can help but worry about what will happen.  I am sure it is just the pre-adventure jitters but for me it is no less captivating. I try not to spend to much time dwelling on the subject for fear of driving myself completely mad.  I just need to go with flow, step on that plane and let it take me away.  I am the type of person who truly believes that with enough patience and effort everything just seems to work out alright.  Rarely is it that simple or it is a naive way to look at things but it seems to be working so far.

A Day at the park photo album

4 comments:

Maddie said...

Woo hoo! Go Lane! Don't be scared :) we're all here rootin' for you and you can call any of us if you need anything!

Lee S. said...

Happy travels, bro!

Seth Harbaugh said...

Dude! The show is about to start! Please keep us in the loop, as many of us are mentally along for the ride.

You will be fine. You know how to make good decisions, and have an escape plan. Think of the stories you will have for the rest of your life.

Chase Brammer said...

Keep posting these brother.